Thursday, September 4, 2014

For everything, there is a season.

For everything, there is a season. 

A time to fret over future internet access. A time to build a future landscape of greenery and life.

Another year's drought has made my pot-bound, ready-for-mother earth, water-loving red Texas star hibiscuses scraggly and cranky.  I feared they had no place in our future sandy world ruled by the overhead Death Star. A kindly master gardener suggested I plant them at the edge of one of our ponds, but I wondered if they might be slightly brackish and wouldn't make a good home.  "Maybe I need to give them away to a good home," I suggested to Ray. He's much too adventurous to give in that easily, so he suggested we plant one now to see how it does. Great idea!  But let's plant two to be surer.

 
Here's where we begin, digging the hole for plant one. Note the tall inductee waiting in the foreground and the happy green things already living there. 

The sand was wet from rain the day before. Yes, rain, because I was out of town, the first since I was in Massachusetts in early July.



In she goes into her new pond's-edge home, where she can watch the ducks and night herons.  

"Thank you for your service, little one... one last hug and you're on your own in your new life. Make me proud."


This shot shows a slightly wider range of the area, including the cattails and their reflections.  

I think the ponds may be an even bigger source of entertainment than we've imagined.


Now for hole two, maybe a little too cozy with the first, but what the heck.  I'm hoping they'll eventually bush out into a seemingly single bush.



Here they are, side-by-side, at home with their new neighbors.

Note the yellow partridge pea in the foreground. 






Now for the blessing, asking the great spirit to bless this sacred first-planting site in the name of our dearest little loved ones, Derek, Adam, Evan, Jenny, Meredith, John, Clara, Dave, Kourtney, Liz.  

Now it's the great spirit's turn.



At that moment, it suddenly began to rain.


A perfect ending to a perfectly lovely experience.

2 comments:

  1. I love my native Texas hibiscus. My dies back in winter in Austin but returns. The lovely red flowers that only last a day - one day of perfection. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback on hibiscus habits!

    The seeds were a gift from my Austin niece, Laura, and I thought last winter's leaf drops might have meant they'd rather die than live in pots. When they came back this year, I knew it would be hard for them to hold out through another summer until Halloween when our new house is ready for people. It's nice the ponds are already willing to accept new neighbors now.

    ReplyDelete